Sell with Confidence
Read More

Tenant Information

Finding your ideal rental property

Before looking for a rental property you should consider factors such as how much you wish to pay, the date you would like to start renting from, the length of the lease, the type of property that you would like (ie. house, unit, flat etc), how many bedrooms you require, the size of the yard, your preferred location and access to public transport.

You can then begin looking for suitable rental properties by inputting your key criteria into the fields on our rental search page. Each rental property shown on our website includes details of the bond, when the property is available from and the name of the property manager who is looking after the leasing of the property.  Rental lists are also available in our office reception and are updated daily.

How do I arrange to inspect a rental property ?

You can email the manager of the property using the email contact form provided on the property listing on this website.  Please make sure that you indicate your preferred  inspection date and time.

The manager of the property will then contact you and advise if an inspection time has already been arranged for the property.   If no inspection time has been arranged, the manager will organise a suitable inspection time taking into consideration any existing tenancy.  When an inspection time has been arranged you will receive an SMS advising of the date and time of inspection.  To attend the inspection you must contact our office to register your attendance.  Due to the large number of inspection requests received, it is not possible to make individual inspection appointments.

How do I apply to lease a property?

Ray White Heathcote use an online tenancy application system that makes it easier for you to apply and saves time.  You can apply by completing the online application form and you will be able to upload photo identification, payslips, reference letters and other documentation that we require.  Every adult person who is going to be living at the property is required to complete a Tenancy Application.

It is company policy that tenants must inspect a property before a tenancy application will be processed.  If you live outside of Heathcote and cannot inspect the property,  we suggest that you arrange for a friend, relative or work colleague to inspect the property on your behalf.   Please note that you must be over 18 years of age, proof of identity is required and it is the landlord who will make the final decision on the tenant for their property.

How will my application be processed  and when will I be notified?

Once your application is received it will be processed by the Ray White Heathcote property management department.  Your application, together with any others that may have been received for the same property will be referred to the owner of that property for their instructions.  You will be contacted by the property manager responsible for the property and advised of the outcome. This process normally takes forty eight hours.

What happens when the application is approved?

Once your application is approved, you will need to sign leases, pay the bond in the form of a bank cheque or money order made payable to the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) and the first rental payment.

You will be provided with a booklet called ‘Renting a home – A guide for tenants‘ which provides information concerning your rights and responsibilities, after-hours emergency maintenance procedures, a copy of the lease agreement, and general advice that will help you with your move.

We can also arrange at no cost the connection of utilities at the rental property, such as gas, electricity, telephone and water.  This can be arranged when you sign your lease through our alliance with ConnectNow.

Rental payment options

Direct Debit – deductions are made automatically from your nominated bank account on the day your rent is due and continue until you terminate your tenancy or you cancel the arrangement with us.  If paying rent via Direct Debit and there is more than one tenant in the property then all tenants must choose this option. A maximum of 4 different bank accounts can be debited.

BPAY®  – using telephone or internet banking.  The minimum payment amount is $100. Excludes payments from credit card accounts.

Centrepay – a direct bill paying service available to customers receiving Centrelink payments. Rent is deducted from your Centrelink payment.

Cheque / Money Order – payable to Booth & Lee with tenant name and address on back of cheque/money order.

What happens to the bond I pay ?

Upon signing of the lease, your Bond will be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) where it will be held in trust for the duration of your lease. A Bond is held as a security deposit against any damage or undue wear and tear.

Once you vacate the property an inspection will be conducted by your Property Manager.  Provided the property report coincides with the original Condition Report (fair wear and tear excepted), then you will be asked to fill in a Bond Claim Form so that your bond can be refunded by the RTBA.  This can take up to 10 business days.

If there is a dispute about the repayment of the bond and it cannot be resolved, an application will be made to theVictorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal to decide the matter.

It is against the Residential Tenancies Act for you to use your Bond as a substitute for the last month’s rent.

Will the property be inspected during my tenancy ?

Upon the commencement of your lease, your Property Manager will complete an inspection of the property and provide you two copies of the Condition Report which notes the general condition of the property. You must check this report, sign it and return a copy of the report to us within three business days of moving in.  As this is the report we refer to at the end of the tenancy, it is in your best interest to read through the report and ensure you retain a copy in a safe place.

Regular inspections will also be conducted by our Property Management staff during your tenancy.  You will be notified in advance of the inspection times.

Urgent repairs

Urgent repairs should be reported as soon as possible to our office by phoning our rental department on  03 5433 3990.  If you call after hours for an urgent repair, a recorded message will advise the phone number of the duty Property Manager to contact.

Urgent repairs include:-

  • burst water service
  • blocked or broken toilet system
  • serious roof leak
  • gas leak
  • dangerous electrical fault
  • flooding or serious flood damage
  • serious storm or fire damage
  • failure or breakdown of any essential service or appliance provided by a landlord or agent for hot water, water, cooking, heating, or laundering
  • failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply
  • any fault or damage in the premises that makes the premises unsafe or insecure
  • an appliance, fitting or fixture that is not working properly and causes a substantial amount of water to be wasted
  • a serious fault in a lift or staircase.

Non urgent repairs and maintenance

If you have a requirement for maintenance or a non-urgent repair, simply complete a maintenance request via this web site. Under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, all maintenance requests MUST be provided in writing.  You can use our online maintenance request form to report any non-urgent repairs or maintenance.  You will then be contacted by the Ray White property management department or tradesperson to arrange for the work to be completed.


Duplicate keys may be borrowed during normal business hours should you lock yourself out of your rental property.  Keys will only be given to those providing suitable identification.  It is a good idea to organise to leave a spare key with a friend or relative in case you should lose your keys or lock yourself out.

Ray White Heathcote does not provide lock-out assistance to tenants outside business hours ( 9am – 5.30pm Mon- Fri & 9am – 12 noon Sat).  If you lock yourself out of your rental property or misplace your keys and require assistance, then you are responsible for contacting a locksmith who may be able to assist.  All locksmiths costs associated with re-entry are the responsibility of the tenant.


It is the tenants responsibility to insure personal possessions against any loss, damage or theft.  We strongly recommend that you arrange adequate insurance to cover the contents of the property.

Vacating The Property

As your Residential Tenancy Agreement is legally binding document between you and your Landlord, there are legal obligations for both parties in regard to lease termination.  If you wish to terminate your tenancy after the lease agreement has expired, you must give 28 days notice in writing prior to vacating.

If your tenancy agreement is still current and you wish to vacate, you are breaking your lease.  This means you are responsible for meeting rental payments until a suitable replacement tenant is found or until the expiration of the lease, whichever is sooner. You will also be responsible for advertising costs and the letting fee.  Contact your Property Manager immediately if you decide to terminate your tenancy and find out exactly what your obligations are.

Further information about renting is available on the Consumer Affairs Victoria website.